Genetic testing and counseling can help you set the stage for the healthiest possible pregnancy. Fetal Care Center Dallas will partner with you and provide unparalleled, dedicated expertise in genetic counseling,
While many fetal care practices will refer patients to an independent genetics counselor, Fetal Care Center Dallas offers this service in-house. We can help you assess your risk for passing on an inheritable condition to your baby. We also provide postpartum genetic testing and counseling after your baby is born.
Know Your Risk Factors
Some of the health issues we focus on mitigating through genetic counseling include:
Maternal health concerns such as:
- Thyroid disease
- Autoimmune disorder
- Infectious disease
Obstetrical health issues that may affect pregnancy:
- Advanced maternal age (35 years or older at time of delivery)
- Recurrent pregnancy loss or stillbirth
- History of preterm labor
Family medical history, including:
- Blood clotting disorders
- Genetic disorders or birth defects
- Genetic defects associated with certain ethnic backgrounds, including sickle cell anemia, thalassemia and Tay-Sachs disease
What to Expect with Genetic Counseling
When you work with our genetic counselor, there are a number of things you should expect. You should start with your blood relatives on both sides to begin creating a comprehensive background on specific diseases and why they are present or have occurred. This is probably the most important part of evaluating genetic risks.
To help facilitate this evaluation, your physician or counselor may ask some of the following questions:
- Do you have a history of diabetes, hypertension, cancer or twins?
- Are there any diseases that seem to run in your family?
- Is there a history of genetic disease such as cystic fibrosis, hemophilia or muscular dystrophy?
- Is there anyone with an intellectual disability or any kind of birth defect?
- Have any of your sisters, cousins or other relatives had problems with their pregnancies?
- Are your parents alive, and are they healthy?
- What is your ethnic background?
- Is there any reason that you suspect that your baby may be born with a birth defect or other medical problem?
Genetic Testing for Your Baby
Fetal Care Center Dallas provides access to services for diagnosing and treating children with metabolic disorders and molecular genetic disorders. We provide testing and counseling for families impacted by cystic fibrosis, fragile X syndrome and other complex genetic disorders.